Monday, August 8, 2016

Welcome Letter!

Hello Parents and Guardians!

 Welcome to Fourth Grade! It is going to be a wonderful year.

Firstly, let me tell you a little about myself. My name is Karolina Walls and this is my second year working with Great Hearts.  Although I did not teach right after graduating, I discovered my passion while substituting at BASIS a couple of years ago.  I enjoyed my time at BASIS and I worked with some great people, but I have a strong preference for a liberal arts education and I wanted to explore my options in that environment.  Once my nephew started attending Archway Cicero, I knew Great Hearts would be a perfect fit for me.

I am pleased to announce that I am once again joined this year by Mrs. Jennifer King.  This is our second year working together and we are so excited to welcome in a new group of 4th graders.  Jennifer comes from a strong musical background, as that was her focus at Hillsdale College.  Last year, 4B was lucky to experience impromptu viola solos courtesy of Mrs. King, and I am excited to hear more this year.

As returning families know, the curriculum is indeed rigorous, but it is also rewarding.  If you are new to Great Hearts this year, you will have the pleasure of watching your child transform into a true scholar.   In Fourth Grade, we will uncover the mysteries behind many exciting topics. Our adventures will take us through the rock cycle, geological features and natural disasters, maps, medieval Europe, Arizona history, Greek and Latin roots, five spectacular novels, and so much more.

Please note the following important information.

Dates:
  • August 3rd:  Meet the Teacher Night at 5:00
  • August 4th: 2016/2017 School Year Begins (doors open at 7:40 A.M., students report to homerooms at 7:50 A.M., school begins at 8:00 A.M. daily) 
  • Please note that the first day of school is a full day (dismissal at 3:20 P.M.)

Lunches:
  •  No hot lunches will be served the first week of the new school year, so please be sure to pack a snack, a lunch, and water bottle for your child each day during that time. Please be sure to label your child’s lunchbox and water bottle with their first and last name.
Labeling and Supplies:
  • Please be sure to label your child’s water bottle and lunchbox with their name.
  • Please be sure to label your child’s outer wear with their name (sweaters, pullovers, etc.)
  • Please clearly label your child’s binder, notebooks, folders, pencil pouches, colored pencils/markers, erasers, sharpeners, and all books from the consumables list.
  • Please do not bring supplies to Meet the Teacher Night.  Your child may bring in his/her supplies on the first day of school.
  • Singapore math books will be distributed at school.
If you have received this welcome letter and your child will not be attending Archway Lincoln this year, please immediately contact our Office Manager at RMinde@archwaylincoln.org so she can remove your child’s name from our school roster.

As I heard many times during training, there is a reason we call ourselves ‘Great Hearts’.  In addition to the curriculum-related subjects, we will also be reviewing and shaping our behavior around the nine core virtues that are upheld by all Great Hearts schools. These virtues encourage students to be more than intellectual beings; they exhort each individual to make choices that are in accordance with integrity, humility, honestly, friendship, and the like. With these as markers to reflect on, reference, and celebrate, I am confident that the 4B classroom will be a tight-knit community full of great-hearted, avid learners. 

As with any new experience, I am sure there will be an abundance of questions and I work my hardest to provide you with answers.  Feel free to email me at kwalls@archwaylincoln.org if you have any questions or comments. I thank you in advance for your support and partnership in what will be a fantastic year.

Warmly,
Karolina Walls